Some useful tips can help reduce water waste and aim at saving water, both at the domestic, industrial and infrastructural level.
The Italian water infrastructure has almost 425,000 kilometers of pipes, along which 44% of the supply is lost. In this case, more than tips, hard facts: the country is investing to modernize the water network and reduce waste, which ranks Italy among the European countries with the highest water consumption (2,303 cubic meters per inhabitant, + 25% compared to the average European).
As for household waste, according to some studies, 44% of the damages in European homes is related to the water network: burst pipes, infiltrations from the roof or ceiling, drips from corroded pipes, leaks from equipment.
Worldwide, just in 2018, companies suffered financial damage of over 32 billion euros as a result of water emergencies. Even in an industrial/production context, the timely detection of water leaks is crucial to limit damage, repair costs and water waste.
Our tips cannot miss the second strategy to reduce water waste. It consists of favouring water saving and of course adopting behaviors and technologies that favor a conscious and responsible consumption of water, both in a domestic context and in an industrial, productive or commercial context.
Some practical tips, which can fit the domestic environment as well as the professional one:
- repair leaks and drips, because ignoring a toilet that leaks 1 liter of water per minute means wasting more than 43,000 liters per month, with the related costs;
- replace old systems and appliances with high water efficiency models;
- use taps with jet breakers and / or aerators, capable of reducing water consumption by at least 30%;
- irrigate gardens and green areas preferably in the evening, to reduce evaporation;
- use tools for cleaning that allow less use of water or allow its reuse;
- inform and educate roommates / collaborators about behaviors that favor water saving:
- constantly monitor water consumption and related costs.